Christopher Kuner is a partner in the Brussels office of the international law firm Hunton & Williams. He has interests in data protection law, privacy law, private international law, European law, legal aspects of the Internet and electronic commerce.
Christopher Kuner is a partner in the Brussels office of the international law firm Hunton & Williams. Mr Kuner is Chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Task Force on Privacy and Data Protection, and participates on behalf of the ICC in the work of other international organizations such as the Council of Europe and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL).
Mr Kuner has served as a consultant to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) on data protection issues, and is a visiting lecturer in data protection law at the Vienna (Austria) University of Economics and Business Administration. Mr Kuner is author of over two dozen articles in English and German on legal topics, as well as several books, including most recently the book 'European Data Protection Law: Corporate Compliance and Regulation' (Oxford University Press 2007).
His work at OII centres on conducting research for a major scholarly article on the private international law aspects of privacy and data protection on the Internet, and in particular, which privacy or data protection law should apply to online activities under European law, and which courts should have jurisdiction over such activities.
law, data protection law, privacy law, private international law, electronic commerce
Positions held at the OII
- Visiting Fellow, June - July 2009
- Kuner C. (2008) Data Protection and Rights Protection on the Internet: The Promusicae Judgment of the European Court of Justice. European Intellectual Property Review 30 (5) 199-202.
- Kuner, C. (2007) European Data Protection Law: Corporate Compliance and Regulation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kuner, C. (2008) CC Perspectives on the United Nations Electronic Communications Convention. In: A.H.Boss and W.Kilian (eds) The UNCITRAL Convention on the Use of Electronic Communications in International Contracts. Kluwer Law International.
- Kuner C. (2008) Membership in the U.S. Safe Harbor Program by Data Processors. BNA Privacy & Security Law Reporter, 12 May 2008, p. 723.