Dr Ning Wang
Ning Wang (Ph.D) holds a joint position between the Oxford Internet Institute and the Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford. He works as Researcher at the Oxford Internet Institute and Senior Research Fellow in Data Science at the Oxford-NIE financial Big Data Lab. His research is driven by a deep interest in analysing a wide range of sociotechnical problems by exploiting big data approaches, with the hope that this work could contribute to the intersection of social behavior and computational systems.
He is also interested in the broad area of financial data analysis, machine learning , social computing, data mining, social networks analysis, Chinese Internet and social media, etc. He has been working on a range of projects including Forexmaster: mobile forex trading platform, Machine Learning in Time Series, "Big Vs" on Chinese microblog, Open Data and Civic Engagement, Big Data: Demonstrating the Value of the UK Web Domain Dataset, Leaders and Followers in Online Activism, Using Twitter to Map and Measure Online Cultural Diffusion, etc. His research has appeared in Elsevier Journal of Social Networks, Data Science, Entropy, etc.
Prior to Oxford, he was a postdoctoral researcher at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. He worked on the Social-based Forwarding Algorithm. He was involved in research to analyse a large number of real-world data on social networks in an effort to use centrality and community structure to optimise online communications.
He is also guest editor of a forthcoming Policy and Internet journal special issue of Chinese Web Data, program chair of the 14th IEEE Conference on Computer and Information Technology (CIT2014), Co-Chair of the 2014 IEEE Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom2014), and TCP members of 2013 AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM13) and reviewer for IEEE Communications Magazine.
social networks, sentiment analysis, cloud computing, mobile / ubiquitous computing, mobile applications
Positions held at the OII
- Research Associate, November 2014 -
- Researcher, April 2012 - December 2015
January 2013 -
How effective are open data initiatives in encouraging civic engagement in policy-relevant domains?
January - December 2012
Where do political and policy-oriented mobilizations (such as e-petitions or organized protests) start and how are they sustained? What affects the propensity of people to join a mobilization, and hence, the mobilization's success?
October 2011 - October 2013
This project is using Twitter data to comprehensively uncover where Internet content is being created; whether the amount of content created in different places is changing over time; and how content moves across time and space in the Social Web.
- González-Bailón, S., Wang, N., Rivero, A., Borge-Holthoefer, J., and Moreno, Y. (2014) Assessing the bias in samples of large online networks. Social Networks 38: 16–27.
- González-Bailón, S., Wang, N., and Borge-Holthoefer, J. (2014) The Emergence of Roles in Large-Scale Networks of Communication. Submitted.
- Baños, R.A., Borge-Holthoefer, J., Wang, N., Moreno, Y., and González-Bailón, S. (2013) Diffusion Dynamics with Changing Network Composition. Entropy 15 (11) 4553-4568.
- Gonzalez-Bailon, S. and Wang, N. (2013) The Bridges and Brokers of Global Campaigns in the Context of Social Media. Submitted.
- Ganchev, I., O'Droma, M., and Wang, N. (2009) Consumer-Oriented Incoming Call Connection Service for UCWW. Springer Journal Wireless Personal Communications 50 (1).
- O'Droma, M., Ganchev, I., and Wang, N. (2006) On Incoming Call Connection Service in a Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), vol. 4003, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 287–297.
- Wang, N., She, J., and Chen, J. (2014) How "big vs" dominate Chinese microblog: a comparison of verified and unverified users on Sina Weibo. ACM Web Science Conference 2014 (WebSci14), Indiana, USA.
- Wang, N., and Yoneki, E. (2011) Impact of social structure on forwarding algorithms in opportunistic network. Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Selected Topics in Mobile & Wireless Networking, Shanghai, China.
- O'Droma, M., Ganchev, I., Jakab, J., Ji, Z., and Wang, N. (2008) On Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World - A Wireless Communications Environment for Future Wireless NGNs. Proc. of the Royal Irish Academy Research Colloquium on Emerging Trends in Wireless Communications, pp. 6-9. 23-24 April, Dublin, Ireland. ISBN 978-1-904890-45-4.
- Wang, N., Ganchev, I., and O'Droma, M. (2007) Flexible Consumer-Controlled Incoming Call Connection Service Provision in UCWW. Annual Review of Communications 60: 637-647. Chicago, US. ISBN: 978-1-931695-59-6.
- Ganchev, O'Droma, M., and Wang, N. (2007) On CBM-ICC Service Provision in UCWW. Proc. of the IEEE 4th International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (IEEE ISWCS'07), pp. 128-132, 17-19 October, Trondheim, Norway. ISBN 1-4244-0979-9.
- Wang, N., Ganchev, I., and O'Droma, M. (2007) An Architecture for the Provision of Incoming Call Connection Service in UCWW. Proc. of the IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2007-Spring) on "Truly Ubiquitous Wireless Systems", ISSN 1550-2252, ISBN 1-4244-0266-2, IEEE Catalog 07CH37784C, pp. 644-648, 22-25 April, Dublin, Ireland.
- O'Droma, M., Ganchev, I., J. Jakab, Zh. Ji, and Wang, N. (2007) Protocol Foundations for ABC&S Paradigm Realisation in a Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World. Science Foundation Ireland Summit. 26-27 Nov. Dublin.
- Kueh, V., Wang, N., and Evans, Zh. (2005) The performance of conference creation signalling over Satellite-UMTS. In Proceeding for the IEEE 61st Semiannual Vehicular Technology Conference, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Wang, N. (2013) Digital Inequality in the era of Big Data. International Forum on Internet Regulation and Digital Divide, Beijing, 20 December 2013.
- Wang, N. (2013) Chinese Web data: a definition, history and review. Panel Session, 11th Chinese Internet Research Conference (CIRC11), Oxford, 14 June 2013.
- Wang, N. (2013) A Tale of Two Stories: Big Data Big Fortune. Forum of Cyber-physical and mobile social media for Advertising, Edutainment and Games, Cyberport, Hong Kong, 28 May 2013.
- Wang, N. (2012) Assessing the Bias in Communication Networks Sampled from Twitter. Nuffield Social Networks Seminar Series, Nuffield College, Oxford, 14 January 2012.
- Wang, N. (2011) East meets West: Chinese and Western Social Media. HKUST, Hong Kong, 14 December 2011.
- Wang, N. (2011) Usage and Dynamics in Online Social Networks. Forum of New Media and Social Development, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 9 December 2011.
- Wang, N. (2010) Consumer-Oriented Incoming Call Connection Service for Ubiquitous Consumer Wireless World. PhD Thesis. University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland.
- Gonzalez-Bailon, S., Wang, N., Rivero, A., Borge-Holthoefer, J., and Moreno, Y. (2012) Assessing the Bias in Communication Networks Sampled from Twitter. Working Paper.