Guy Piers O'Hanlon
Piers O’Hanlon is a Part-time Researcher for the Being There Project. His work focuses on providing for enhanced consensual privacy for robots and mobile devices. Specifically he is looking at ways in which the link layer interactions may be modified to provide for more privacy.
Piers O'Hanlon has been involved with research into Internet based systems since the early nineties. His current research focusses on security, privacy, and congestion control. Whilst at University College London he also worked on networked multimedia transport over IPv4 and IPv6, large-scale conferencing applications, grid systems, and network testbeds. He has significant expertise in these areas, having worked on, and managed, a number of UK-, EU-, and US-funded research projects. He is an active participant in the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), having authored a number of standards and drafts in media transport, emergency services, and signalling areas. He has participated in the Open Grid Forum (OGF) as a working group chair, and authored a number of standards documents. He has also consulted for a number of organisations and companies.
Positions held at the OII
- Researcher, January - October 2015
- Researcher, May 2013 - September 2014
- Fresnel Research Fellow, June 2011 - April 2013
October 2013 - September 2016
This project considers the challenges of having robot proxies in public spaces. It will conduct experiments exploring trust in shared social settings, and develop a framework for understanding the impact of privacy / anonymity in human-robot interactions.
May 2011 - April 2014
This project is addressing home network and service security by researching and developing security frameworks for sharing between networks and devices, protocols to connect devices with cloud services, and security analysis of remote management systems.
January 2010 - April 2013
FRESNEL aims to build a large scale federated sensor network framework with multiple applications sharing the same resources, where reliable intra-application communication is guaranteed, as well as a scalable and distributed management infrastructure.
- Jiang, S., O'Hanlon, P. and Kirstein, P. (2005) The Combination of IPv6 and Grid Systems. Daily News and Information for the Global Grid Community 4 (2).
- Hobsley, M., McCloy, R., Jameson, D., O'Hanlon, P. and Buckton, S. (1997) Lessons learned during the INSURRECT project INteractive SURgical Teaching at REmote CeNtres. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 3 (suppl. 1): 38-40.
- Duval, E., Olivie, H., O'Hanlon, P. and Jameson, D.G. (1996) HOME: An environment for hypermedia objects. The Journal of Universal Computer Science.
- Jameson, D.G., Hobsley, M., O'Hanlon, P. and Buckton, S. (1996) Real-time interactivity on the SuperJANET network. Interacting with Computers 8 (3) 285-296.
- Jameson, D., O'Hanlon, P., Buckton, S. and Hobsley, M. (1995) Broadband telemedicine: teaching on the information superhighway. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 1 (2) 111-116.
- de Souza, T., Wright, J., O'Hanlon, P. and Brown, I. (2013) Set Difference Attacks in Wireless Sensor Networks. In Security and Privacy in Communication Networks. Springer, pp. 94-111.
- O'Hanlon, P., Wright, J. and Brown, I. (2014) Privacy at the Link Layer. In W3C/IAB workshop on Strengthening the Internet Against Pervasive Monitoring (STRINT).
- O'Hanlon, P., Carlberg, K. (2013) DFlow: Low Delay Congestion Control. Capacity Sharing Workshop (CSWS13), co-located with the 21st International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP'13), 7 October 2013, Göttingen, Germany.
- O'Hanlon, P. (2013) Latency signals. ISOC Workshop on Reducing Internet Latency, September 2013, London.
- O'Hanlon, P. and Carlberg, K. (2013) Congestion control algorithm for lower latency and lower loss media transport. Internet-Draft (Informational). Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- de Souza, T., Wright, J., O'Hanlon, P. and Brown, I. (2012) Set Difference Attacks in Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of SecureComm, Italy, September 2012.
- O'Hanlon, P. (2008) The AVATS and SUMOVER projects: The media tools continue. Proceedings of the 8th Annual AccessGrid Retreat, Vancouver, Canada, May 2008.
- Kirstein, P., Varakliotis, S. and O'Hanlon, P. (2007) The SUMOVER project: Media Tools present and future. In Access Grid Workshop.
- Chown, T., Jiang, S., O'Hanlon, P. and Bound, J. (2005) Guidelines for IP version independence in GGF specifications. Global Grid Forum Informational Document.
- Jiang, S., O'Hanlon, P. and Kirstein, P. (2004) Moving grid systems into the ipv6 era. In Grid and Cooperative Computing. Springer, pp. 490-499.
- Kirstein, P. T., Carlberg, K., Hasler, K. and O'Hanlon, P. (2003) Media Transmission Over Coupled Wired/Wireless Networks Using Application Level Active IPv6~Networks. In Converged Networking. Springer, pp. 197-209.
- De Meer, H., O'Hanlon, P., Feher, G., Blefari-Melazzi, N., Tschofenig, H., Karagiannis, G., Partain, D., Rexhepi, V. and Westberg, L. (2002) Analysis of existing qos solutions. IETF Internet Draft.
- Kirstein, P., Carlberg, K., Hasler, K. and O'Hanlon, P. (2002) Media transmission over coupled wired/wireless networks using application level active IPv6 networks. In 6th International Symposium on Communications and Networking, Perth, pp. 195-207.
- Kirstein, P.T., O'Hanlon, P., Carlberg, K., Gevros, P. and Hasler, K. (2002) The RadioActive networking architecture. In Proceedings of the DARPA Active NEtworks Conference and Exposition, pp. 394-408.
- De Meer, H. and O'Hanlon, P. (2001) Segmented adaptation of traffic aggregates. IWQoS, pp. 342-353.
- Buckton, S., O'Hanlon, P. and Jameson, G. (1996) The Interactive Surgical Teaching from Remote Centres (INSURRECT) project. In VII International Conference on Technology and Distance Education in San Jose, Costa Rica, p. 89.
- Jameson, D., Hobsley, M., O'Hanlon, P. and Buckton, S. (1996) Video-teaching on high performance networks. In IEE Colloquium on Learning at a Distance: Developments in Media Technologies, p. 2.
- Duval, E., Olivié, H., O'Hanlon, P. and Jameson, D. (1995) Networked hypermedia for education. Telematics for education and training: proceedings of the Telematics for Education and Training Conference, Düsseldorf/Neuss, 24-26 November 1994.
- Duval, E., O'Hanlon, P. and Ismail, N. (1994) Distributed hypermedia for education. In MediaActive 94, Harnessing Multimedia for Higher Education, Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- Duval, E., Olivie, H., O'Hanlon, P., Jameson, D. G., Ismail, N., Wilbur, S. and Beckwith, R. (1994) Managing networked multimedia data. ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics 28 (1) 15-19.
- Duval, E., Olivié, H., O'Hanlon, P., Jameson, D., Ismail, N., Wilbur, S. and Beckwith, R. (1994) A multimedia information resource for education. Eleventh International Conference on Technology and Education, pp. 1008-1010.
- Jameson, D., O'Hanlon, P., Buckton, S. and Hobsley, M. (1994) Surgical Teaching project in Surgery. In ED-MEDIA 94, World Conference on Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, Vancouver, Canada.
- Jameson, D., O'Hanlon, P., Buckton, S. and Hobsley, M. (1994) Teaching on the Information Super Highway. Proceedings of the Telematics for Education and Training Conference, DusseldoffJNeuss, Germany, pp. 81-84.
- Duval, E., Decloedt, I., Liekens, C., Olivié, H., O'Hanlon, P., Jameson, D., Ismail, N., Wilbur, S., Van Heddegem, J. and Beckwith, R. (1993) An information and telecommunication infrastructure for flexible and distance learning. APPLICA 93, Telepresence, First International Conference on Technologies and Theories for Human Cooperation, Collaboration, Coordination, Lille, France, 22-24 March 1993, pp. 218-230.
- Beckwith, R., Jameson, D., O'Hanlon, P. and Duval, E. (1993) Interactive satellite teaching and conferencing using an image server. In ESA Olympus Conference, Seville, Spain.
- Jameson, D.G., O'Hanlon, P., Beckwith, R., Duval, E. and Olivié, H. (1993) Distance learning by satellite-using an information resource to provide a flexible learning system. Teleteaching: Proceedings of the IFIP TC3 Third Teleteaching Conference, pp. 459-467.
- Jameson, D., O'Hanlon, P., Beckwith, R., Duval, E., Olivié, H. and Williams, J. (1993) Functionality of a multi-media image network for medical education. In First International Conference on Technologies and Theories for Human Cooperation, Collaboration, Coordination, Lille, France, pp. 58-66.
- Westerlund, M., Johansson, I., Perkins, C., Carlberg, K. and O'Hanlon, P. (2012) Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP. IETF RFC6679, Proposed Standard, August 2012.
- Carlberg, K. and O'Hanlon, P. (2008) Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP) Attribute for Resource Priority. IETF RFC 5115, Jan 2008.