Dr Vera Slavtcheva-Petkova
Vera Slavtcheva-Petkova is a Research Assistant on the OII project "Evidence on the extent of harms experienced by children as a result of online risks: A critical synthesis of research".
Vera Slavtcheva-Petkova joined the Oxford Internet Institute in December 2011 as a Research Assistant on the project 'Evidence about the harms experienced by children as a result of online risks: a critical synthesis of research.' Vera earned her PhD in Social Sciences with a specialization in Media, Communication and European Studies from Loughborough University in October 2011. Her doctoral topic of research is on children, Europe and the media, and the thesis involves a comparative study of Bulgaria and England. In it Vera investigates how the mass media, including new media, influence children's European knowledge and identities by also taking into account the interplay between a broad range of factors such as social structures, socialization agents such as school and parents, national context, including geo-political positioning vis-à-vis Europe and the EU, and individual agency. At Loughborough University Vera Slavtcheva-Petkova also taught postgraduate and undergraduate modules in Media and Communication studies.
Prior to completing her doctorate, Vera received a British Council Chevening Scholarship to pursue her MA in the European Union: Media, Politics and Society at the University of East Anglia, which she completed with distinction in 2007. Her BA is in Journalism and Mass Communication from the American University in Bulgaria. Since 2001 Vera has also worked as a journalist in the second biggest selling daily newspaper in Bulgaria - 24 Chasa (24 Hours).
children, European Union, mass media, socialization, social structures, media effects, media agenda-setting, child protection, sociology of childhood
Positions held at the OII
- Research Assistant, December 2011 - June 2012
January 2005 -
Work and activities by OII faculty and associates on issues surrounding online child safety and protection.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2011) Book review: Jan-Henrik Meyer, The European Public Sphere: Media and Transnational Communication in European Integration 1969—1991. European Journal of Communication 26 (2) 176-179.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2011) Thomas Tufte and Florencia Enghel (eds), Youth Engaging with the World. Media, Communication and Social Change Yearbook 2009 (book note). European Journal of Communication 26 (3) 281.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2012) Banal Europeanism vs. Banal Americanism: Children's Recognition of Key Symbols in Bulgaria and England. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA) Conference, January 2012. Luton: University of Bedfordshire.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2011) Children's European Identities between Class, Ethnicity and Gender. University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES) Conference, September 2011. Cambridge: Cambridge University.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2011) Children's Identities at the Crossroads between Individual Agency, Socialization, Social Inequalities and National Context. Rethinking Youth Cultures in the Age of Global Media Conference, June 2011. London: Institute of Education, University of London.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2010) Europe - a Default or a Dream? Media and Parents' Influence on Children's Perceptions in Two National Contexts. European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA) Conference, October 2010. Hamburg: University of Hamburg.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2010) Europe's Visibility in Children's Eyes: Only through their Parents' Media Lenses?. International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Conference, July 2010. Braga: University of Minho.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2010) Europe in the Media vs. Europe in Children's Eyes. International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Conference, July 2010. Braga: University of Minho.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2010) I Live in Europe but I am not European: Bulgarian Children's 'European' Identity. UACES Student Forum 11th Annual Conference, April 2010. Bath: University of Bath.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2010) The Invisible Europe: Media's Influence on Children's 'European' Identities. Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA) Conference, January 2010. London: London School of Economics.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2009) British Children, Media and the European Union. 3rd Graduate Conference on Social Sciences and Management, October 2009. Bradford: University of Bradford.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2009) Children, Media and the EU: Are British Pupils European? 9th Conference of the European Sociological Association (ESA): European Society or European Societies. Lisbon: University of Lisbon.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, V., Nash, V., and Bulger M.E. (2013) Evidence on the extent of harms experienced by children as a result of online risks: A critical synthesis of research. International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Meeting, 17-21 June 2013, London, UK.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, V., Nash, V., and Bulger M.E. (2013) Does the Internet harm children's health? A critical review of the evidence. Annual Conference of the Media, Communication, and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), 9 January 2013, Derry/Londonderry, Ireland.
- Slavtcheva-Petkova, Vera (2011) Children, Europe and the Media: A Comparison between Bulgaria and England. Doctoral dissertation. Loughborough: Loughborough University.