Fadhila Haeri Mazanderani
Fadhila Mazanderani was a DPhil candidate at the OII where her work focused on the health information seeking practices of people living with HIV / Aids and the relationship between access to information, patient empowerment and expertise.
Prior to joining the OII Fadhila worked as a management consultant in South Africa with a focus on Media and Telecommunications strategy. She holds a Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT) degree from the University of Pretoria and a Masters degree in New Media, Information and Society from the London School of Economics and Political Science. Her research interests include how people appropriate digital information and tools within the context of developing countries and the role search engines play as mediators to online content.
chronic illness, HIV, health, information, knowledge, privacy
Positions held at the OII
- DPhil Alumnus, November 2011 -
- DPhil student, October 2007 - November 2011
October 2008 - December 2011
Privacy Value Networks (PVNets) is producing an empirical base for developing concepts of privacy across contexts and timeframes, addressing a current lack of clarity of what privacy is and what it means to stakeholders in different usage scenarios.
- Vasalou, A., Gill, A., Mazanderani, F., Papoutsi, C. and Joinson, A. (2011) Privacy dictionary: A new resource for the automated content analysis of privacy. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology 62 (11) 2095-2105.
- Mazanderani, F. and Brown, I. (2010) Privacy as a practice: exploring the relational and spatial dynamics of HIV-related information seeking. In: S.Gutwirth, Y.Poullet, P.De Hert and R.Leene (eds) Computers, Privacy and Data Protection: An Element of Choice. Springer, pp. 251-268. ISBN: 9789400706408.
- Vasalou, A., Gill, A., Mazanderani, F., Papoutsi, C., Oostveen, A. and Brostoff, S. (2010) The prototype of privacy: analyzing privacy discourse through its features. Peer-reviewed paper for the Privacy and Usability Methods (PUMP) workshop, British HCI 2010 conference, Dundee, 6 September 2010.
- Mazanderani, F. (2010) Dating with HIV: the internet as moral mediator. BSA Medical Sociology Group Annual Conference, September 2010, Durham.
- Mazanderani, F. (2010) Keeping bodies apart: the spatial (re)framing of not knowing. Society for the Social Studies of Science Annual Conference, August 2010, Tokyo.
- Mazanderani, F. and Brown, I. (2010) Making things private: exploring the relational dynamics of privacy. Paper presented at the 3rd International Conference on Computers, Privacy and Data Protection, 29-30 January 2010 Brussels, Belgium.
- Papoutsi, C., Mazanderani, F. and Brown, I. (2010) Researching Privacy in HIV Care: An Ethnographic Analysis of Methods. Privacy and Usability Methods (PUMP) Workshop, British HCI 2010 Conference.
Haeri Mazanderani, F. (2012) Information As Care: Reconnecting Internet Use, HIV and Health. DPhil Thesis, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford.
Associate Director (Cyber Security Centre) and Professor of Information Security and Privacy