Dr Bianca Reisdorf
Bianca Reisdorf holds a Diploma in Sociology (2008) from Bielefeld University, Germany. She has interests in media sociology (particularly new media) and social stratification, and has worked for public relations agencies and the German print media.
Bianca Reisdorf is a doctoral student at the OII. She holds a Master's degree in Sociology (2008) from Bielefeld University, Germany. Her doctorate investigates Internet non-use among middle-aged Britons and Swedes. She worked as a research assistant on the Oxford Internet Surveys (OxIS) from 2008 until 2011.
As a Sociologist, Bianca’s specific focus within the field lay on media sociology and particularly new media, social inequality, quantitative and qualitative research methods, and cross-country comparison. On the basis of a mixed methods approach her dissertation examines macro- and micro-level factors influencing Internet non-use, as well as attitudes, perceptions and everyday lives of British and Swedish non-users aged 25 to 55.
The Oxford Internet Surveys (OxIS) and the OII's affiliation with the World Internet Project (WIP) as well as the expertise offered by the faculty give her a perfect research environment to pursue her doctoral studies.
digital divides, digital inequalities, social inequalities, social structures and stratification, cross-national comparison
Positions held at the OII
- DPhil Alumnus, October 2012 -
- DPhil student, October 2008 - October 2012
- Part-time Research Assistant, September 2008 - September 2011
May 2014 -
By using interviews and focus groups this project will focus on how people living and working in rural areas are affected by the unavailability of adequate Internet connections.
January 2003 -
Research on access, use and attitudes to the Internet in Britain based on biennial surveys covering (for example) digital and social inclusion and exclusion, social networking, safety and privacy concerns, Internet regulation, and behaviour.
- Blank, G. and Reisdorf, B.C. (2012) The participatory web: A user perspective on Web 2.0. Information, Communication & Society.
- Reisdorf, B. (2011) Non-adoption of the Internet in Great Britain and Sweden: A cross-national comparison. Information, Communication & Society 14 (3) 400-420.
- Oostveen, A., Meyer, E., Cobo, C., Hjorth, I., Reisdorf, B., Papoutsi, C., Power, L., Abdel-Sattar, N., Hale, S. and Waldburger, M. (2011) First Year Report on Scientific Workshop. SESERV Deliverable D1.2, Socio-Economic Services for European Research Projects FP7-2010-ICT-258138-CSA.
- Helsper, E.J. and Reisdorf, B.C. (2010) Foster Carers' Use of and Attitudes towards the Internet. Report for the North Lincolnshire Council.
- Reisdorf, B. (2008) Social Exclusion by Non-Use of the Internet in European Comparison - A Revision of Digital Inequalities within 'Information Societies'. Bielefeld University.
Reisdorf, B. (2013) Internet Non-Use: A Comparative Study of Great Britain and Sweden. DPhil Thesis, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford.