Dr Lucy Power
Lucy has joined the OII in 2007 to study online communities and their impact on society. She also hopes to harness the collective wisdom of the OII faculty and her fellow students to further her knowledge of the wide range of topics studied at the Institute.
Lucy has been fascinated by the Internet since she typed her first html tag back in 1995. Since then she's coded websites, administered servers, managed large Web projects, and for the last 10 years has worked as an Information Architect, most recently at Ingenta. Her interest in academic study of the Internet was sparked by her work as an IA, talking to users about their information and communication needs, as well as her work on EU projects E-BioSci and ORIEL, which looked at synthesising life science data into an online research environment.
Educated mainly in Australia, Lucy holds an MA in International Relations and a BA in Modern Asian Studies.
e-research, e-science, open science
Positions held at the OII
- DPhil Alumnus, May 2012 -
- DPhil student, October 2007 - May 2012
September 2010 - July 2011
Exploring the information seeking, organizing, archiving and communicating capacities of physical sciences communities as a study case (and role model) for effective information processing regimes and behaviours in complex problem-solving tasks.
- Schroeder, R., Power, L. and Meyer, E. (2009) Community-Driven Discovery in Biology. Presented at the International Society for the History, Philosophy and Social Studies of Biology, Brisbane, July 12-16 2009.
- Meyer, E.T., Schroeder, R. and Power, L. (2008) e-Research 2.0: Taking the Measure of Web 2.0 in e-Research. 4th International Conference on e-Social Science, Manchester, UK, 18-19 June 2008.
- Meyer, E.T., Bulger, M.E., Kyriakidou-Zacharoudiou, A., Power, L., Williams, P., Ventners, W., Terras, M. and Wyatt, S. (2012) Collaborative Yet Independent: Information Practices in the Physical Sciences. Research Information Network (RIN) Report Series.
- Oostveen, A., Meyer, E., Cobo, C., Hjorth, I., Reisdorf, B., Papoutsi, C., Power, L., Abdel-Sattar, N., Hale, S. and Waldburger, M. (2011) First Year Report on Scientific Workshop. SESERV Deliverable D1.2, Socio-Economic Services for European Research Projects FP7-2010-ICT-258138-CSA.
Power, L. (2011) e-Research in the life sciences: from invisible to virtual colleges. DPhil Thesis, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford.