Dr Yasseri left the OII to join University College Dublin as an Associate Professor of Sociology in July 2020.
Taha Yasseri was a Senior Research Fellow in Computational Social Science at the OII, a Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute for Data Science, and a Research Fellow in Humanities and Social Sciences at Wolfson College, University of Oxford. Taha Yasseri has interests in analysis of large-scale transactional data and conducting experiments to understand human dynamics, government-society interactions, mass collaboration and collective intelligence, information and opinion dynamics, collective behaviour, and online dating.
computational social science, information dynamics, collective action, peer production, collective intelligence, human dynamics, social media, conflict and cooperation, opinion formation, online dating, collective behaviour, social networks, agent-based modelling, machine learning
- Ternovski, J., & Yasseri, T. (2020). Social complex contagion in music listenership: A natural experiment with 1.3 million participants. Social Networks, 61, 144-152.
- Wachs, J., Yasseri, T., Lengyel, B., & Kertész, J. (2019). Social capital predicts corruption risk in towns. Royal Society Open Science, 6(4), 182103.
- Melville, S., Eccles, K. and Yasseri, T. (2019). Topic modeling of Everyday Sexism project entries. Front. Digit. Humanit. 5:28.
- (2017). The memory remains: Understanding collective memory in the digital age, Science Adv. 3 (4) e1602368.
- (2017). Even good bots fight: The case of Wikipedia, PLoS One. 12 (2) e0171774.
- Vidgen, B., and Yasseri, T. (2016). P-values: misunderstood and misused. Frontiers in Physics, 4, 6.
- Margetts, H., John, P., Hale, S., and Yasseri, T. (2015). Political turbulence: how social media shape collective action, Princeton University Press.
- Gillani, N., Yasseri, T., Eynon, R., and Hjorth, I. (2014). Structural limitations of learning in a crowd: communication vulnerability and information diffusion in MOOCs. Scientific reports, 4, 6447.
- Mestyán, M., Yasseri, T., and Kertész, J. (2013). Early prediction of movie box office success based on Wikipedia activity big data. PloS one, 8(8).
- Yasseri, T., Sumi, R., Rung, A., Kornai, A., & Kertész, J. (2012). Dynamics of conflicts in Wikipedia. PloS one, 7(6), e38869.
Dr Yasseri graduated from the Institute of Theoretical Physics at the University of Göttingen, Germany (2010) with a PhD in Complex Systems Physics at the age of 25. Prior to coming to Oxford, he spent two years as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Budapest University of Technology and Economics, working on the social complexity of collaborative community of Wikipedia editors, focusing on conflict and editorial wars, along with Big Data analysis to understand human dynamics, language complexity, and popularity spread.
Positions held at the OII
- Senior Research Fellow in Computational Social Science, May 2017 – June 2020
- Research Fellow in Computational Social Science, January 2015 – April 2017
- Big Data Research Officer, November 2012 – December 2014
Students and Postdocs supervised at the OII
- Postdoc: Dr Milena Tsvetkova (Assis. Prof., LSE), Dr Ruth García-Gavilanes (Data Scientist, Skyscanner)
- DPhil: Mary Sanford, Paul Röttger, Chris Blex, Patrick Gildersleve, Dr Bertie Vidgen (Postdoc, Alan Turing Institute)
- MSc: Vincent Straub Distinction, Ben Porter, Menno Schellekens Distinction (Stichting DSDC), Victor Maimone Distinction, Alicia Mergenthaler (University of Liverpool), Carla Intal Distinction, Best Thesis Prize (LinkedIn), Rachel Dinh (The Partnership on AI), Mary Sanford (Mesaic), Dr Olga Kokoulina (University of Copenhagen), Jannie Reher Distinction (Quantum Analytics), Lily McElwee Distinction (University of Oxford), Judith Dada Distinction, Special Commends (Facebook), Eli Rachovitsky-Duarte, Jennie Zhang (Uber), Pu Yan Distinction (OII), Ann Samoilenko (GESIS), Joao Fiadeiro Distinction (Facebook)
- Visiting Students: Talayeh Aledavood, Anders Mollgaard, Annika Kreil, Johannes Wachs
Senior Research Fellow in Computational Social Science
Faculty>Senior Research Fellows