Lofred Madzou’s interests lie at the intersection of philosophy, artificial intelligence and policy. The overarching theme of his work is "responsible AI" and he works in collaboration with Philip Howard.
Research Associate and MSc Alumnus
Lofred Madzou is a leading global expert on Responsible AI. Currently, he serves as a Project Lead for AI at the World Economic Forum Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution where he oversees multi-stakeholder AI governance projects. Before joining the Forum, he was a policy officer at the French Digital Council, where he advised the French Government on online platform regulation and AI policy. Most notably, he has co-written chapter 5 of Villani’s report – the French AI National Strategy – entitled “What Ethics for AI?”.
His research focuses on the governance of AI systems and is informed by an extensive experience with AI policy across various jurisdictions. He is the author of numerous policy reports and articles in the field of responsible AI, tackling topics ranging from the regulation of facial recognition technology to the Government use of AI for public operations.
As ethical concerns mount regarding the ever-growing decision-making role of AI in industries and governments, Lofred’s work offers a coherent set of conceptual tools and actionable frameworks to identify, monitor, and mitigate the ethical risks associated with AI. In this perspective, his work is highly relevant for corporate leaders and policymakers interested in fostering the development of AI systems that effectively supports human flourishing.
- Madzou, L., Firth-Butterfield, K. (2020) “Regulation could transform the AI industry. Here’s how companies can prepare“. World Economic Forum.
- Firth-Butterfield, K., Madzou, L. (2020) “Rethinking risk management and compliance for the Age of AI“. World Economic Forum.
- Madzou, L., MacDonald, K. (2020) “How to put AI ethics into practice: a 12-step guide“. World Economic Forum.
- MacDonald, K., Madzou, L. (2020) “AI is here. This is how it can benefit everyone“. World Economic Forum.
- Madzou, L. (2020) “Is AI trustworthy enough to help us fight COVID-19?“. World Economic Forum.
- Villani, C., Bonnet, Y. Madzou, L., et al. (2018) “For a meaningful artificial intelligence: Towards a French and European strategy”.
- Madzou, L., Shukla, P., (2019) “A Framework for Developing a National Artificial Intelligence Strategy”. World Economic Forum.
- Madzou, L., MacDonald, K., Costigan, M., et al. (2020) “Reimagining Regulation for the Age of AI: New Zealand Pilot Project”. World Economic Forum.