These are the publications produced by department faculty, students and associates. Check faculty biographies to view a particular person's records. Academic journals edited by OII faculty include: Policy & Internet (Helen Margetts, Vili Lehdonvirta); Information, Communication & Society (William Dutton); Philosophy & Technology (Luciano Floridi); and Learning, Media and Technology (Rebecca Eynon).
126 - 150 of 2699 publications found.
- Hjorth, I. (2014) The social dynamics of crowdfunding. Invited talk at the Departmental Research Seminar Series Computing and Communications, Open University, UK.
- Hogan, B. (2014) From invisible algorithms to interactive affordances: data after the ideology of machine learning. In E.Bertino and S.Matei (eds) Roles, Trust, and Reputation in Social Media Knowledge Markets. Cham, Switzerland: Springer, pp. 103-119.
- Hogan, B., and Wellman, B. (2014) The relational self-portrait: Selfies meet social networks. In M.Graham and W.H.Dutton (eds) Society and the Internet. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing, pp 53-66.
- I. Brown (2014) Social media surveillance. In W. Donsbach (ed.) International Encyclopedia of Digital Communication & Society, International Communication Association/Blackwell.
- I. Brown, C. Buckley and D. Harris (2014) Data Protection: Redress mechanisms and their use in the UK. EU Fundamental Rights Agency.
- Iñiguez, G., Török, J., Yasseri, T., Kaski, K., and Kertész, J. (2014) Modeling Social Dynamics in a Collaborative Environment. EPJ Data Science 2014: 7.
- Kaufmann, M., E. Krempel, A. Oostveen, D. Dimitrova, and P. Tsormpatzoudi (2014) Concept for usability, acceptance and privacy (Version 1). FastPass Deliverable 2.2. FastPass - A harmonized, modular reference system for all European automated border crossing points, FP7-SEC-2012-1.
- Lehdonvirta, V., Barnard, H., Graham, M., and Hjorth, I. (2014) Online labour markets - levelling the playing field for international service markets? Paper presented at the IPP2014: Crowdsourcing for Politics and Policy conference, University of Oxford, 25-26 September 2014.
- Lu, Y. (2014) Hashtags on Twitter: The Linguistics of a Sociotechnical Phenomenon. Presented at Corpus Linguistics in the South 8: Voices from Below—Corpus Linguistics and Social Media. University of Reading, 15 November 2014.
- Margetts, H., Hale, S. A., and Yasseri, T. (2014) Big Data and Collective Action. In M.Graham and W.H.Dutton (eds) Society and the Internet: How information and social networks are changing our lives. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Meyer, E.T. (2014) Big Data: The Practice and Potential. External Examiner's Special Lecture Series, MPhil in International Development, University of Oxford, February 2014.
- Meyer, E.T. (2014) Examining the Hyphen: The Value of Social Informatics for Research and Teaching. In Rosenbaum, H., Fichman, P. (Eds) Social Informatics: Past, Present and Future. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholarly Publishers, Chapter 3.
- Meyer, E.T., Carroll, J., and Phillips, K. (2014) Bottling Inspiration: Shoot Smart Swindon Final Project Report. London: Into Film.
- Meyer, E.T., Rauer, U. (2014). Big Data for Advancing Dementia Research. Paper presented at OECD Workshop "Addressing dementia research and care: Can big data help?" Ontario Brain Institute, Toronto, Canada, 15 September 2014.
- Mittelstadt, B., N.B. Fairweather, N. McBride, and M. Shaw (2014) The Ethical Implications of Personal Health Monitoring. International Journal of Technoethics 5(2).
- Nash, V. (2014) The Politics of Children's Internet Use. In Graham, M., and Dutton, W. H. (eds) Society and the Internet: How Networks of Information and Communication are Changing our Lives. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Nash, V., O'Connell, R., Zevenbergen, B., and Mishkin, A. (2014) Effective age verification techniques: Lessons to be learnt from the online gambling industry. Final Report.
- Newman, N., Dutton, W.H. and Blank, G. (2014) Social media and the news. In Mark Graham and William H. Dutton (eds) Society and the Internet: How information and social networks are changing our lives. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- O'Hanlon, P., Wright, J. and Brown, I. (2014) Privacy at the Link Layer. In W3C/IAB workshop on Strengthening the Internet Against Pervasive Monitoring (STRINT).
- Oostveen, A. (2014) Non-use of Automated Border Control Systems: Identifying Reasons and Solutions. 28th British Human Computer Interaction Conference (HCI 2014). Sand, Sea and Sky - Holiday HCI, 9-12 September 2014, Southport.
- Oostveen, A., M. Kaufmann, E. Krempel and G. Grasemann (2014) Automated Border Control: A Comparative Usability Study At Two European Airports. Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction (IHCI) 2014 Conference 15-17 July, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Oostveen, A., P. Aalto, D. Dimitrova, M. Hendow, A. Kraler, P. Lehtonen, and F. Zampagni (2014) Socio-ethical, legal, political, and privacy aspects (Version 1). FastPass Deliverable 2.3. FastPass - A harmonized, modular reference system for all European automated border crossing points, FP7-SEC-2012-1.
- Oostveen, A., Vasalou, A., Besselaar, P. v.d. and Brown, I. (2014) Child Location Tracking in the US and the UK: Same Technology, Different Social Implications. Surveillance and Society 12 (4) pp.581-593.
- Paverd, A., Martin, A. and Brown, I. (2014) Security and Privacy in Smart Grid Demand Response Systems. In J. Cuellar (Ed.) SmartGridSec 2014, Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 8448, pp. 1-15.
- Prandini, M., Sartori, L. and Oostveen, A. (2014) Why Electronic Voting? International Conference for e-Democracy and Open Government (CeDEM Asia 2014), 4-5 December 2014, Hong Kong.