Claudio Calvino's main research interests cover political and cultural geography, GIS and more recently the harnessing of Volunteered Geographic Information and Citizen Science.
Claudio Calvino is graduated at the University L’Orientale of Naples with a dissertation on the role of boundaries during the Bosniac Conflict. He then followed his studies at Siena University and obtained a master degree in European Studies.
In 2010 he started his Ph.D. candidate career at University of Rome “La Sapienza” in Economic Geography at the Department of Methods and Models for Economics, Territory and Finance, in the meantime he was appointed research fellow at the Laboratorio Ladest at the Department of Social Political and Cognitive Sciences, University of Siena.
His main research interests cover political and cultural geography, GIS and more recently the harnessing of Volunteered Geographic Information and Citizen Science.
political geography, electoral geography, GIS, geomarketing, noise pollution
Positions held at the OII
- Researcher, September 2013 -
January 2014 -
This project combines OxIS and census data to produce the first detailed geographic estimates of Internet use across the UK.
- Calvino C., Romano A., Teobaldi M. (2013) Tweeting Politicians – Il peso della Prossimitià nella formazione dell'opinione politica. Rivista Geografica Italiana 12: 362-372.
- Calvino C., Romano A., Teobaldi M. (2013) VGI and Web 2.0: Politics in the Time of Twitter. Bollettino AIC (Associazione Italiana Cartografia) 147: 109-125.
- Calvino C. (2012) Il "viaggio" italiano: in margine agli studi elettorali di John A. Agnew. Rivista Geografica Italiana 119: 317-340.
- Calvino C. (2010) Mashup Maps: Un nuovo strumento analitico e didattico. Ambiente, Società e Territorio 6: 18-22.
- Capineri, C., Calvino, C., and Romano, A. (2014) Cittadini e istituzioni, i prosumers di informazioni. L'esperienza dei comuni italiani su Twitter. Collana Ladest, University of Siena.
- Calvino C. (2012) Una nuova fase del fenomeno della delocalizzazione: l'identificazione di nuove frontiere produttive – la Fiat e la Global Commodity Chain del Progetto 178. In F.Dini and F.Randelli F. (eds) Oltre la globalizzazione: le proposte della Geografia economica. Firenze, Firenze University Press (FUP), ISBN: 978-88-6655-307-6.
25 November 2013 Limes - Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica
Claudio Calvino has co-authored an article on the Italian language site about the ways in which Italian towns are using the internet to create virtual public spaces for communications.
10 October 2013 La Repubblica
From the weather to kindergartens, the Mayor communicates by Twitter; OII researcher Claudio Calvino is referenced in an article in leading Italian newspaper Repubblica about the Mayor of Florence tweeting. (Italian)