Professor Gregory O'Hare
Gregory O'Hare is an Associate Professor at the School of Computer Science & Informatics at University College Dublin. His research interests include distributed Artificial Intelligence and Multi-Agent Systems (MAS), and mobile and ubiquitous computing.
Gregory O'Hare completed his studies at the University of Ulster graduating with a BSc, MSc and PhD. He held the position of Head of the Department of Computer Science at University College Dublin (UCD) 2001-2004. Prior to joining UCD he has been on the Faculty of the University of Central Lancashire (1984-86) and the University of Manchester (1986-1996). He is an Associate Professor within the School of Computer Science & Informatics at UCD. He has published over 295 refereed publications in Journals and International Conferences, seven books and has won significant grant income (ca 28.00M).
O'Hare is an established researcher of international repute. His research interests are in the areas of Distributed Artificial Intelligence and Multi-Agent Systems (MAS), and Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing, Autonomic Systems and Wireless Sensor Networks. He has supervised some 16 PhD and 29 MSc's to completion in his career to date.
He referees extensively for Journals, International Conferences and funding agencies including the European Commission, Enterprise Ireland, Science Foundation Ireland, the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, and the National Science Foundation (US). He serves on the Editorial Review Board of the International Journal of Agent Technologies and Systems (IJATS), International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction (IJMHCI) and the International Journal on Knowledge Based Intelligent Engineering Systems.
In 2003 he received the prestigious Cooperative Information Agents (CIA), System Innovation Award for ACCESS: An Agent Architecture for Ubiquitous Service Delivery. O'Hare is a Fellow of the British Computer Society, a Fellow of the Irish Computer Society a member of the ACM, AAAI and a Chartered Engineer. He is the Chair of the European Resaerch Consortium on Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) Working Group on Sensor Web. He has also held a prestigious Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Principal Investigator Award 2003-2007. He is one of the Principal Investigators and founders of the Science Foundation Ireland funded (€16.4M) Centre for Science and Engineering Technologies (CSET) entitled CLARITY: The Centre for Sensor Web Technologies (2008-2013).
In 2008-2009 he secured a Visiting Research Fellowship to the University of Oxford Internet Institute (OII). During this fellowship he will explore the implications of ubiquitous sensing on everyday life and will endeavour to explore research synergies between OII and CLARITY.
In 2009-2010 Professor O'Hare will be a Visiting Scholar at MIT Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) having been awarded a prestigous Fubright Scholar Award.
ubiquitous computing, sensor web, intelligent sensing middleware, multi-agent systems
Positions held at the OII
- Visiting Fellow, June - December 2009
- O'Grady, M.J., O'Hare, G.M.P., Chen, J. and Phelan, D. (2009) Distributed Network Intelligence: A Prerequisite for Adaptive and Personalised Service Delivery. Information System Frontiers 11 (1).
- Holz, T., Dragone, M. and O'Hare, G.M.P. (2009) Where Robots and Virtual Agents Meet: A Survey of Social Interaction Across Milgram's Reality-Virtuality Continuum. International Journal of Social Robotics 1 (1) 83-93.
- O'Hare, G.M.P, O'Grady, M.J., Poslad, S. and Titkov, L. (2009) Exploiting Multi-Agent Systems in Realizing Adaptivity in the Mobile Tourist Domain. AI Communications.
- Ruzzelli, A., O'Hare, G.M.P., O'Grady, M.J. and Tynan, R. (2008) Energy Efficient design in Wireless Ad hoc and Sensor networks. Ad Hoc Networks Journal (Special Issue) 6 (8) 1238-1257.
- Shen, S., O'Hare, G.M.P. and O'Grady, M.J. (2008) Fuzzy Decision Making through Energy-aware and Utility Agents within Wireless Sensor Networks. Artificial Intelligence Review 27 (2/3).
- Jurdak, R., Ruzzelli, A.G., O'Hare, G.M.P. and Lopes, C.V. (2008) Mote-based Underwater Sensor Networks: Opportunities, Challenges, and Guidelines. Telecommunication Systems Journal 37 (1-3) 37-47.
- Keegan, S., O'Hare, G.M.P. and O'Grady, M.J. (2008) EasiShop: Ambient Intelligence Assists Everyday Shopping. Journal of Information Sciences 178 (3) 588-611.
- O'Grady, M.J. O'Hare, G.M.P. and Donaghy, C. (2007) Delivering Adaptivity through Context Awareness. Journal of Network and Computer Applications (Special Issue on Intelligence-based Adaptation for Ubiquitous Multimedia Communications) 30 (3) 1007-1033.
- O'Hare, G.M.P., O'Grady, M.J., Tynan, R., Muldoon, C., Kolar, H., Ruzzelli, A.G., Diamond, D. and Sweeney, E. (2007) Embedding Intelligent Decision Making within Complex Dynamic Environments. Artificial Intelligence Review 27 (2/3).
- Shen, S. and O'Hare, G.M.P. (2007) Wireless Sensor Networks: an Energy-Aware and Utility-based BDI Agent Approach. International Journal of Sensor Networks 2 (3/4) 237-247.
- O'Hare, G.M.P., Diamond D., Lau, K.T., Hayes, J., Muldoon, C., O'Grady, M.J., Tynan, R., Rancourt, G., Kolar H.R. and McCarthy, R. (2009) The Adaptive Environment: Delivering the Vision of In situ Real-Time Environmental Monitoring. IBM Journal of Research and Development.